It’s been very long since my last post. Today I bring you this very creative decor for cupcakes. These sweet looking little bunnies are the perfect mate for any spring special occasion, from children birthday parties to Easter get togethers.
What you need to make these delightful little creatures:
- Medium size brush
- Pink food dye
- Leaf shapes cookie cutter*
- Rolling pin
- Corn starch
- Merengue or buttercream
- Large round tip**
*If you don’t have one a sharp knife will do.
**You can also use a Ziplock bag and cut the end.
For the bunny ears
- Take the fondant and neat it with your hands. To avoid sticking, use some corn starch if needed.
- Once soft. roll using a rolling pin until 1/4 – 1/8 cm thick.
- Use the leaf cutter to cut the little ears. This can be done using a sharp knife.
- Let them dry completely before painting.
- To paint the ears a cute pink color on the inside, mix some of the pink food color with a tiny bit of vodka. Use just enough to make it the right consistency.
- With the paint brush, trace and fill the inside of our bunny ears. Let it dry completely.
- Fill the piping bag / Ziploc bag with the merengue. Place the tip of the bag in a 90 degree angle on top of the cupcake and about a 1cm away.
- Squeeze the bag until you get a cute lump of merengue. Stop squeezing and pull up. This will be our head.
- Once all the steps are done the last thing we need to do its put it all together! Take your dried ears and put one at each side of the bunny’s head. Be creative and dress your bunny’s face however you fancy. Here I used a sugar nonpareille as nose and drew two small dots as the eyes.
I hope this is useful and you try them at home. If you dare share your creations with me, it would make my day!
Last week was a roller coaster for me. I worked the hole week gathering everything I need for the Mercadito of Agora Mall here in Santo Domingo. Most of you might not know what a ‘mercadito’ is. Basically, is a day during which Agora Mall offers the change for entrepreneurs to be part of a mini farmers market. They offer it to promote local talent.
That being said, I needed to get everything I together for that Saturday. I usually have a special cupcake favor every week. Since my nan had been making marmalade all month. I decided it would be great to use it in on my cupcakes in some way. She had a fresh bash of guava marmalade made and what goes best with that flavor…. cheese. I know it sounds weird but it works.
I took a plain vanilla cupcake recipe- you can use the once you like best . My recipie is as follows:
Guava Marverled Cupcake
– Your favorite vainilla cupcake recipe
– 1 1/2 cup of Guava Marmalade. Make sure its fluid enough to a spreadable consistency.
1. Follow the cupcake recipe and fill in each cupcake liner with batter.
2. Warm your marmalade a little to make it more fluid.
3. Distribute about 1 tb of marmalade per cupcake.
4. With a tooth pick or the back of a spoon. Mix the marmalade with the vanilla batter until you get a beautiful marvel effect.
* try to insert the toothpick and lift the batter from the bottom to the top.
5. Bake the cupcakes at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes. Bear in mind you might have to adjust the temperature of your oven according to your environment … And his mood.
You should end up with cupcakes that look a bit like this
* dont get scared if your cupcakes don’t rise as much. This batter is a bit more humid due to the marmalade.
Cream Cheese Frosting
– 8oz of cream cheese at room temperature
-1/2 cup ( 1 stick of butter)
– 3 cups of sifted powdered sugar.
– 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1. In a stand up mixer, cream together the butter and cream cheese until we’ll incorporated.
2. Add I the vanilla extract.
3. Mix I the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Frost and enjoy
I hope you enjoyed reading this and try it at home.